[blindlaw] Conducting Depositions

Singh, Nandini NSingh at cov.com
Mon Jul 24 19:57:43 UTC 2017

Good afternoon,

I am a new subscriber to the list in addition to a new attorney at a law firm. As I think about how best to adapt and modify aspects of my legal practice using non-visual techniques, I wanted to ask how you conduct depositions. How do you organize exhibits, especially for a deponent who would most likely be sighted while still giving yourself access to the same material in another format? How do you handle last minute additions to the exhibit list? How do you handle occasions when the deponent brings print documents to the deposition? If you are conducting the deposition with a sighted colleague, how do you communicate with each other during the deposition itself (not meaning breaks)? What are some ways you can be an effective second chair? How do you consider the deponent's manner, demeanor, and/or other indicators of character? I would appreciate hearing your ideas and techniques.

Regards,
Nikki