[blindlaw] Seeking Definition of a Qualified Reader

Elizabeth Mohnke lizmohnke at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 6 18:22:39 UTC 2017

Hello All,

Please forgive me if it is not appropriate for me to be asking my questions on this email list. If these questions are not appropriate for the email list, perhaps I can receive responses from people off list rather than continuing this thread on the email list.

Anyway, I am currently attempting to write a complaint against my college disability's office and the current 504 ADA Coordinator using the complaint process within my college regarding the lack of accommodations I received this semester for a math class. Since I do not know Braille very well, or know how to make a screen reader read math symbols or the charts and graphs that are used for my math class, I chose to use a reader for my math class. However, it appears as though my college and I disagree on what constitutes as a qualified reader, and I was forced to drop my math class because the reader I was provided was not proficient in reading math materials to me.

I have tried searching online to see if I can find any information or settlement agreements that can help provide clarification as to what constitutes a qualified reader without much success. However, I believe it may be helpful to include this information in my complaint. Although, I am not completely sure as I am not quite sure how to write such a complaint. But anyway, if anyone here on the email list could help provide clarification as to what constitutes as a qualified reader, I would greatly appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks,
Elizabeth Mohnke