[blindlaw] Slightly OT: Accessing Settings Menu on Windows 10 Enterprise

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Tue Sep 19 21:31:27 UTC 2017

Nikki,

Several variations of this problem has arisen with Windows 10 and screen
readers, and there seems to be an unknown variable in the mix that causes
it.  First, while not ideal, try reading the current line with INSERT and UP
ARROW to see if it might read the currently selected control.  One of my
computers is not automatically reading controls when I move around, but
INSERT UP ARROW is reading what is currently selected.  This gets me by on
that machine although I am still looking for some better solution.

Second, if your computer was upgraded to Windows 10 with JFW already
installed, uninstall JAWS and then install it again.  This has been known to
solve the problem.  In fact, even if Windows was installed new, uninstalling
and installing JAWS might be worth trying because you have probably received
Windows 10 updates since you installed JAWS the first time.  Something may
have changed because of the Windows Update that will cause JAWS to work
right when installed again.

Third, to just get by for now, try Narrator or NVDA just to get your
settings working.  Narrator is already installed with Windows 10 but there
is a bit more of a learning curve in my opinion.  NVDA is free, but if your
employer maintains your machine, they may not permit you to install it.
They may install it for you, though, to help figure this out.  However,
Narrator is part of the Windows operating system and you already have it
installed.  Narrator, under Windows 10, is more powerful than it was
previously, but you will still want to use JAWS to get your work done.
Again, this is only to help you get settings the way you want them.    .
You should be able to close Narrator or NVDA and restart JAWS.  To try
Narrator, you should be able to press WINDOWS CNTRL ENTER.  To stop Narrator
with a hot key, press CAPSLOCK and ESCAPE.

If your laptop is owned and maintained by your employer, you may need to ask
which version of Windows 10 you are running.  For example, if WINDOWS CNTRL
ENTER does not start Narrator, try WINDOWS and ENTER.  However, if WINDOWS
ENTER starts Narrator, you are using an early version of Windows 10, and
that could be part of the JAWS problem.  You may need to ask your employer
to allow Windows to be updated.

I hope that something here at least helps you get by for now.  It is likely
that between JAWS and Microsoft updates, the problem will be resolved in
time, but I understand it is nevertheless a real difficulty right now and
most of my suggestions will just help you get by.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson