[blindlaw] Hard Drive Encryption

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Tue Sep 19 22:03:10 UTC 2017

Angie,

On the laptop I have from work, there is no separate password to decrypt my hard disk.  My understanding is that the decryption of the hard disk is done by communication between the drive and the BIOS on my specific laptop.  This means that if the hard drive is removed and used on another computer, its content is still encrypted.  Since we are required to password protect our laptop, this provides pretty much all of the encryption that is provided with a separate decryption password.  In addition, there is a block where anything I copy to a jump drive is encrypted and is only unencrypted on the same machine.  I have asked for specifics but have not ever been given real specific details, probably for security reasons.  My understanding, though, is that it is a variation of Microsoft's Bit Logger software which also has a version that requires a separate password.  I am unable to tell when I log on that anything different is happening, and this is the case with all employees and is not something separate that is done for me.  Using this may require more active defense against systems that crack passwords.

  Perhaps this information might be enough for your employer to determine what is being used and figure out if it is adequate in their eyes.  My employer is pretty security conscious, though, so it must be reasonably strong in our implementation.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson