[blindlaw] Making cards for on-the-spot remediation of sighted fails

Sai sai at fiatfiendum.org
Sat Apr 14 09:48:41 UTC 2018

On Fri, Apr 13, 2018 at 7:40 PM, Luis Mendez <lmendez716 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Are the cards to be providedafter, or instead of talking to people.

During or instead of, depending on the situation.

E.g. it can be a thing to give someone so they let go of you and you
can walk away while they're distracted. Or it can help shortcut the
usual spiel with someone who you want helping you, e.g. sighted guide.

On Fri, Apr 13, 2018 at 7:03 PM, Ashley Biggs -LBPH- wrote:
> I think this would be a great learning opportunity and would encourage you
> to connect with your local library! A well planned out talk or discussion
> group on etiquette would be ideal for a public library, especially for
> children and young adult groups.

That's pretty much the exact opposite of what I'm intending here.

My intent is pretty strictly limited to "what would help me deal with
this situation *right now*", where "this situation" is 90% of
problematic interactions I encounter day to day, and "deal with" means
telling people quickly what to do / not do.

That's quite different from the much longer process of getting them to
actually understand my perspective.

People who would go to a learning session at a library are not the
people who randomly grab me when I'm trying to get somewhere. This is
not figurative or an exaggeration. I am literally assaulted more or
less every single time I go out on my own. I expect most cane or dog
using people on the list have had similar experiences.

My intent with this not to broadly "raise awareness" or the like. I
don't deny that it's worthwhile, long term. But I don't want to do it
when I'm just trying to get around, and even if I did, it doesn't
address the on-the-spot problems. I'm not interested in having a long
discussion with someone who just assaulted me, or whom I'm just asking
for quick directions or guidance. I want them to learn what they need
to know, within a few seconds, without me having to repeat myself all
the time.

Sincerely,
Sai
President, Fiat Fiendum, Inc.