[blindlaw] Criminal Prosecution/Defense in Court

Rahul Bajaj rahul.bajaj1038 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 12 05:38:54 UTC 2018

Kelby,

You might like to peruse this interview that we conducted of a blind
judge in San Diego who sat on an arraignment court for 18 years:
https://idialaw.com/blog/idap-interview-series-interview-xii-with-judge-david-szumowski/
In particular, please see his responses to questions 15 and 16.

I don't think there is a good substitute for an efficient sighted
reader in such circumstances. Someone who can describe the information
captured in a piece of visual evidence to you in textual form. It is
true that this would entail additional effort on the part of an
employer, but there can be no gainsaying the fact that this would fall
within the four squares of a reasonable accommodation.

Insofar as the issue of the opposite side bringing such evidence on
record in court is concerned, I see no impediment in requesting the
concerned judge to grant you additional time to work with your
assistant to parse the evidence. If such a rule doesn't already exist
in the concerned court's rules of practice, I would submit that you
should advocate for the insertion of such a rule.

So, even though my knowledge in this area only flows from my
conversations with blind legal professionals, I think the short answer
is that it is doable, albeit with some extra effort. Would an employer
be willing to make that effort is a far harder question.

Best,
Rahul

>>> www.harrisbrun.com<http://www.harrisbrun.com/>