[blindlaw] , Accommodations for the LS AC

Ben Fulton bluezinfandel at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 18 16:11:30 UTC 2018

Hi Carlos,

Congratulations in taking this first step towards becoming a lawyer. When I wrote the LSAT it was on a windows machine using JAWS. I was allowed/required to bring in my own computer, and the LSAT was provided on an encrypted USB key. The Format of the test was HTML.

I had to request copies of the exam in the same format directly from LSAC and they would only send me two at a time, and in the end they only provided me with a total of 5 copies to study from.

I found studying from old tests was the best way to study, but nothing beats the practice of having a test in the same format to do a full run practice. I used bookmarks a lot, especially on the reading comprehension and games. Knowing how to jump around quickly will be your best friend.

To get your head around the kinds of questions you can get copies of old tests, but I had to use paper versions and scan them in, and then clean up the formatting, which ruined their value for doing a practice run. Save the versions you can get from LSAC till you understand the test fairly well, and use those versions to conduct practice runs.

I also remember downloading from their websit directly one practice where feedback was provided for each answer, you could take the test online, and check your answers. The feedback was very important for understanding why the correct answer was the "best" answer.

I didn't take any official prep courses and I got 172 on the exam. Many people find the prep courses beneficial, but I'd say just reading as many old tests as you can is your best strategy. I probably read about 30 exams in total, although I was only really able to do a full on practice run on the 5 I received from LSAC.

I had a scribe to fill in the bubble sheet but others tell me they were able to record the answers on the computer. Whatever makes you more comfortable. I did do the written portion on a computer. - make sure the place you are writing the exam has a printer. LSAC may make you responsible for this, and if the place you are writing does not have a printer, you may have to bring your own.

Best of luck,
Ben