[blindlaw] track changes, etc.

Aaron Cannon cannona at fireantproductions.com
Tue Dec 25 20:32:55 UTC 2018

I'm not a lawyer (to the relief of lawyers and non-lawyers alike), nor do I often use Word, prefering to do most of my editing in Google Docs. However, I would suggest that pursuing NVDA compatibility with this feature is likely to be more fruitful in the short term, and will likely have a greater benefit in the long run. NVDA is free and open source, which means that, in a very real sense, you can truly own that software, unlike Jaws, which is only temporarily licensed to you. If, for example, you wished to fix the support of track changes in Jaws, your only recourse is to beg/threaten the folks at VFO to do so. However, with NVDA, you can first request that the developers at NVAccess fix it. If they refuse, you are not out of luck. Since it is open source, you have the option of hiring someone to fix it for you. I suspect that if we started giving money to NVAccess like we do to VFO, or Freedom Scientific, or whatever they're called these days, we would end up with a far better screen reader than we currently have. A screen reader that would not just work for the blind, but would also truly be owned by  the blind. . Just look at what NVAccess has accomplished with only a fraction of the budget of the other screen reader venders.

Aaron

--
This message was sent from a mobile device