[blindlaw] ADA & Parole

Daniel McBride dlmlaw at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jan 17 15:36:25 UTC 2018

Tim Elder, Scott LaBar & List Colleagues,

I am trying to assist a client who is up for parole from the Texas
penitentiary and she is seeking a place to which she can parole. In previous
times of incarceration, she was paroled and accepted into a transition
program operated by Catholic Charities.

I have been communicating with that program again and they have rejected her
because she is now handicapped and will have difficulty climbing stairs in
order to reach their female sleeping quarters.

I replied to the Sister working intake that, before I communicate their
response to the client, I respectfully asked that she consult with their
legal or human resources program about the issue.

Was it proper to make that suggestion? Under the Americans With Disabilities
Act, is there anything that would prohibit Catholic Charities from denying
her access to their program solely on the basis of her handicap?

I appreciate all comments for some direction here.

Daniel McBride, Attorney
Fort Worth