[blindlaw] Working Dockets

Sai legal at s.ai
Fri Jan 19 19:45:08 UTC 2018

I think this probably depends on the particular court / state's CM/ECF
system. Can you share what court it is?

Federal CM/ECF is not too bad (especially after they ditched the
Java-based appellate filer system), particularly when you're
subscribed to NEFs (notice of electronic filing, an email that gives
you the docket text & link to the PDF).

I don't have much experience with state court systems, though.

Also, mind that it's not just the dockets; the documents themselves
are also an issue. I externed for CA9; despite a local rule explicitly
mandating that the record be filed in electronic, accessible format,
at least half of what the extracts of record I had to go through when
preparing a bench memo draft were really badly scanned and not even
OCR'd.

I would expect that if you're participating in a particular case, and
you're OK with disclosing your access needs on the record, you could
get the other side to be more compliant with such rules (and maybe
e.g. send you a .doc version of their briefs as a courtesy).

I've had limited success with that. Some AUSAs are surprisingly
cooperative, others are total jerks, and others are OK but
representing a jerk client that simply refuses to cough up native
format records. (<insert rant about E-FOIA>)

Plus, mind that most courts require sealed documents to be filed in
paper only. Usually you'll get a courtesy electronic copy from
opposing counsel by email, but not always. I would expect you'll have
more sealed documents in criminal cases.
Sincerely,
Sai