[blindlaw] Do blind people have a right to visual memory?

Sai legal at s.ai
Tue Jan 23 20:01:30 UTC 2018

Consider any of various situations where it is illegal to secretly
record video. Customs, courts, etc etc.

A sighted person going through those situations would have a visual
memory of what they saw. A blind person would not; they wouldn't have
access to the same information that the sighted person does (albeit
limited by memory).

So, could one (winnably) argue that the blind person has a
Constitutional *right* to covert video recording, i.e. the right to
see and remember what they saw (albeit through the intermediary of a
recording), at least for personal or testimonial use?

I started thinking about this recently during O&M training. I recorded
the training session out of curiosity to see what it was like.

I didn't learn until after recording that training session that a
street I walk very frequently has a painted-on bike lane on part of
the sidewalk.

I had absolutely no idea it was there, despite having walked that
exact path for months and easily recognizing various parts of it by
cane. The painted-on bike lane, and the division between it and the
pedestrian part of the sidewalk, just have almost zero perceptible
tactile cues, let alone something to indicate "don't walk here".

As a result, in that video of my training session, I was blithely
walking along the curb side of the sidewalk, smack in the middle of a
bike lane. It came as quite a shock to me when I reviewed the video.

I've had multiple other experiences where visual memory was critical,
like where TSA violated my rights and I needed evidence of who did
what. Had I not been recording, I wouldn't have that evidence.

So it makes me think: what about establishing a blind person's right
to perceive, and recall, the same visual information that a sighted
person would have access to in the same situation? (Or likewise for
d/Deaf and audio, or psychological issues and memory in general.)

Has anyone ever tried this?

Sincerely,
Sai