[blindlaw] Do blind people have a right to visual memory?

Rahul Bajaj rahul.bajaj1038 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 24 16:31:14 UTC 2018

Sai,

A very interesting question indeed. While I am not qualified to address this question from the standpoint of American law, I think blind people definitely have the right to demand that information that is exclusively accessible to those possessing the sense of sight be made available to them in an alternative format. For instance, pictures and maps. However, insofar as your  specific question is concerned, I think it is whether the blind should have the right to demand that everything in their surroundings be conveyed to them in an accessible format in order to ensure that they do not miss out on accessing critical visual information.

I am not sure if such an omnibus right would serve any useful purpose.  Not only would this be a difficult proposition from a logistical standpoint, but given the limited  room that the disabled have to demand reasonable accommodation, as Daniel indicated, I think that there are other issues that merit far greater attention. So I would submit  that such a right should remain confined to information that is exclusively visual, as I said earlier.

Best,
Rahulz

Sent from my iPhone