[blindlaw] speaker and topic suggestions for two upcoming panels

Deepa Goraya deepa.goraya at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 15:47:26 UTC 2018

All,

I am looking for speakers for an upcoming panel, and topic suggestions
for another. First, I will be moderating a panel at the DRBA annual
meeting on March 23, which will discuss how to explain the potential
tax consequences of damages payments, and its impacts on benefits and
supported decision-making. We need suggestions for speakers on the
impacts of damages payments and benefits. We already have a speaker
for the supported decision making piece. If you have any suggestions,
please email me at deepa_goraya at washlaw.org.

Second, on April 5, from 11:30 to 12:30, Lainey Feingold, Debra
Patkin, Robyn Powell, and I will be participating on an ABA panel
entitled Disability and Dispute Resolution: Practical Information for
DR practitioners. It will be part of the ABA spring conference and
will be held at Washington Hilton in Washington DC. A description of
the panel is below, and more information can be found here:
https://www.americanbar.org/groups/dispute_resolution/events_cle/annual.html.

We are interested in your suggestions on which topics to highlight,
from issues facing attorneys who are blind, issues that mediators with
disabilities have faced, clients with disabilities and issues with
accommodating them, etc. Please email any suggestions and come to our
panel if you are able to.

and core to our values. Too often though, disability is left out when
we talk about diversity, inclusion, and civil rights. This session
will explore the intersection of dispute resolution and disability.
Topics will include best practices for communicating with deaf and
blind lawyers, parties and neutrals; Website accessibility and
accessible print and electronic documents; accommodation policies;
disability issues in collaborative (family law) practice;
accessibility issues in Online Dispute Resolution (ODR), language and
disability awareness; Structured Negotiation and other successful DR
strategies for disability rights claims; issues for disabled
mediators; and marketing mediation and legal services to the
disability community.

Deepa

DEEPINDER K. GORAYA, ESQ. | STAFF ATTORNEY, DISABILITY RIGHTS PROJECT
WASHINGTON LAWYERS' COMMITTEE FOR CIVIL RIGHTS AND URBAN AFFAIRS
11 Dupont Circle,NW, Suite 400 | Washington, DC  20036
202-319-1000 X132 | Fax 202-319-1010

This email message is from an attorney and may contain information
that is confidential, privileged and/or attorney work product. If you
are not the intended recipient of this email, please immediately
advise the sender that this message was inadvertently transmitted to
you and delete this message, along with any attachments. Please note
that if you are an attorney who received this email about a
prospective client, you must maintain the confidences of the
prospective client. Thank you for your cooperation.