[blindlaw] Looking for technology recommendations

Derek Dittmar derekjdittmar at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 13:44:02 UTC 2018

Good morning, all,
First, I want to thank you for your help.  My internship with the
public defender's office has been very successful, and I owe a lot of
that to your recommendations, support, and company.  There's something
special about feeling less alone.
I have the opportunity to start looking into accessible technology.
Since I'm entering my third year of law school, I have a year to
research, save for, request, and learn the tech that will cary me
through my first several years of practice.  So, does anyone have
recommendations on tech that is used commonly in a court-heavy
practice?  I'm looking at either trial or appellate court, so I'd
appreciate advice from anyone who works in either of these fields.  I
am a braille user, though I haven't relied heavily on it in years.
Typically I've used a laptop with windows and JAWS, as well as an ipad
and iPhone.  I've already thought of a Bluetooth keyboard, and am
interested in scanning/ocr, good braille displays, and anything else
you think that I should investigate.
I'd greatly appreciate any help that I can get.
Thanks,
Derek