[blindlaw] Assistive technology

Angela Matney amatney at loeb.com
Thu Jun 7 18:55:56 UTC 2018

For people who are looking for a braille display to use with a laptop, I highly recommend the Brailliant BI models (I have the 40). This display isn't a "smart" display, so it can't do independent note-taking. But in all other respects, it's a great option. It even has extremely quiet keys and dots. I don't go to court, but I do use it every day in my practice. I will sometimes type on the display when I am on the phone because it is quieter than my PC keyboard. It is also reasonably priced. I don't know how it compares to the new Focus displays in price or performance. I have a Vario 40 at home, and I had planned to get one for work, but when that suddenly was no longer an option, I decided to go with the Brailliant. I have no regrets.

Angela Matney, CIPP/US
Attorney at Law
Admitted only in Virginia

901 New York Avenue NW, Suite 300 East | Washington, DC 20001
Direct Dial: 202.618.5038 | Fax: 202.403.3407 | E-mail: amatney at loeb.com
Los Angeles | New York | Chicago | Nashville | Washington, DC | Beijing | Hong Kong | www.loeb.com

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail transmission, and any documents, files or previous e-mail messages attached to it may contain confidential information that is legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, or a person responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of any of the information contained in or attached to this transmission is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately notify the sender. Please destroy the original transmission and its attachments without reading or saving in any manner. Thank you, Loeb & Loeb LLP.