[blindlaw] Is there any respite from discrimination??

Nicole Askins njaskins at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 17:17:14 UTC 2018

Caution, this note is more of a cathartic vent then it is informative.
Yet, it's also gratitude to those of you who work diligently to support
individuals who are blind and want to live independently with in the world
while maintaining gainful employment.
I worked super hard after discovering I was diagnosed with retinitis
Pigmentosa, to ensure that I graduated on time. I was a chemistry major but
switched my major to something that wouldn't cause me to continue fighting
for accommodations in the way that seemed unreasonable to the school. So, I
majored in experimental psychology. Graduated, Even after spending most of
my time accommodating my professors and school instead of the other way
around. I decide to go to law school. Then I find myself accommodating the
law school admissions test. I win the settlement associated with the
consent decree with the law school admissions Council. Great, I get into
law school. I just happened to agree to attend the wrong one. Charlotte
School of Law closes. Fine, I'm stuck in Charlotte North Carolina. Not a
bad place to be stuck. I consistently fight against stereotypes and biases
and limitations that are perceived about my low vision. When is it enough.
Today, after finally obtaining employment. I am told that due to the
sensitive nature of the material being handled, a screen reader, magnifier
or any other assistive technology will not be permitted. Now, I know the
law. Surely those recruiters do not. But that's not why I'm exhausted. It
just seems to me that we live in a society that should know about
reasonable accommodations. Is that too much to ask? Is it unreasonable that
people don't understand that different types of people do things in
different ways but accomplish the same task? Why is it that I feel that I
am not only advocating for myself but educating the entire employer
population about reasonable accommodations deleted? Is there some sort of
pamphlet or booklet on a DEA law that I could hand out so they can scan
over it prior to going into business? Being facetious of course but
realistically, shouldn't employers understand the do's and don'ts of hiring
practices?
Thank you to those of you within this list who serve to Advocate on behalf
of those of us who are blind or who have low vision. There is still so much
work to be done. I am attempting to do some of the simplest of tasks just
to make ends meet although I have 3 University degrees. Why? Because I am
living under dispersions cast upon me that are more often, too burdensome
to lift alone. I'm sure many people have done it before. But, it's just
exhausting. My question, is there any rusted from discrimination? Is there
anywhere where I will be judged and compensated based on the quality of my
work and not the content of others perceptions? Thanks for listening to my
tangent.