[blindlaw] Is there any respite from discrimination??

Prevost, Ann Marie aprevost at sidley.com
Thu Mar 15 21:42:54 UTC 2018

Nicole,
Thanks so much for the support! The ADA does provide some guidance for the prevention of fraud and there is one theater I have encountered that does make use of additional steps including a written request and attestation as the ADA suggests. The request is made via email and is not overly burdensome but it very effective. It is simply a matter of making the other theaters aware of the widespread fraud and the steps they can legally take. I think I can make it happen but it will be a big effort. The following is the fraud prevention paragraph from the ADA section on Ticket Sales:

Prevention of Fraud in Purchase of Tickets for Accessible Seating

Venues cannot require proof of disability as a condition for purchasing tickets for accessible seats. However, venues and third-party vendors may take steps to prevent the fraudulent sale and use of accessible seating. For single event tickets, venues may ask purchasers to state that they require, or are purchasing tickets for someone who requires, the features of an accessible seat. For series of events tickets, purchasers may be asked to attest in writing that they require, or are purchasing tickets for someone who requires, the features of an accessible seat. These steps may be used in all sales, including those over the Internet. Venues may also mark tickets to clearly identify that they are for accessible seats. Some venues include on tickets for accessible seats a message stating that, if the user of the ticket does not need the specific features of the accessible seat, the venue may require the ticket holder to move to a different, non-accessible seating location.

Venues may investigate the potential misuse of accessible seats where there is good cause to believe that such seating has been purchased fraudulently. Purchasers may also be warned that if accessible seating has been purchased fraudulently, they are subject to investigation and/or relocation. Providing additional information about the features of other types of seats (e.g., seats that can be accessed without steps, designated aisle seats, or seats located close to exits) may assist patrons to determine which type of seat meets their specific needs. Venues must not, however, use this process to steer patrons with disabilities to particular seat types or locations.

ANN MARIE PREVOST
Staff Attorney

SIDLEY AUSTIN LLP
+1 212 839 5408