[blindlaw] Recommendations for Court

Jim McCarthy jmccarthy at mdtap.org
Wed May 2 21:08:24 UTC 2018

My comments largely mirror Tai's though I have a bit less experience
actually using Beacons. It also is my understanding that there is some
considerable cost to maintain, replacing batteries, replacing beacons
themselves at some times and the like. This is not a reason necessarily to
oppose the concept but if installed, maintenance is important. It also is
unclear to me whether beacons will prove a long-term option. I do believe
that as in door navigation solutions develop, best practice accessibility
will be to install them in government buildings. I am not sure how nimble
programs will be in this area though. Maryland has a long-standing program
we call Access-Maryland and I have begun overseeing this program. It is an
old program that provides physical access to Maryland state facilities and
clearly, the expectation is physical access, accessible bathrooms/stalls,
elevators, ramps and compliant signage.    In my opinion, in door
mapping/GPS or a GPS like environment should be considered accessibility as
one would know locations in a building, court rooms, the cafeteria and so
forth. People who were blind or could not read the standard map would still
have access to the information, but even if that becomes the case, I am not
sure that the program here will be able to address the topic without
modifications.
Jim McCarthy