[blindlaw] New legal jobs at the Southern Poverty Law Center

Tai Tomasi ttomasi at driowa.org
Thu May 10 20:45:22 UTC 2018

Forwarded message below:

Hi everyone,

The Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) is significantly expanding our Children's Rights team. The positions below are currently available. If you are interested in a position, but haven't lived or worked in our states, please let me know. I hadn't either before joining SPLC  (I'd previously worked in Baltimore, DC, and Raleigh), and I or others on the team can talk to you about what it's like to live and work here.

As background, the Children's Rights team focuses on impact litigation in three broad areas: stopping the school to prison pipeline, fighting for educational equity, and protecting children's access to mental health services. We have or are building teams in four states: Alabama, Florida, Louisiana, and Mississippi. Across our states, we focus on creative litigation strategies, ranging from state constitutional claims to protect education funding<https://www.splcenter.org/seeking-justice/case-docket/rep-bryant-w-clark-and-sen-john-horhn-v-governor-phil-bryant-et-al> to a federal case in which we allege that the state of Mississippi has long violated, and is still violating, the terms of its full readmission<https://www.splcenter.org/seeking-justice/case-docket/indigo-williams-et-al-v-phil-bryant-et-al> to the Union.

More broadly, our cases and campaigns seek to address disproportionality and discrimination in school discipline, referrals to alternative school, expulsion, and school-based arrest; curbing seclusion and restraint; pushing back against school-imposed fines and citations; addressing a variety of equity issues (school funding, deregulation, privatization, vouchers, segregation/re-segregation); and improving children's access to Medicaid and other vital health services. The Children's Rights team is committed to ensuring that all schools in the Deep South have the resources necessary to educate all children, no matter the child's race, sex, national origin, religion, disability status, or poverty status.

If you have any questions or would like to discuss any of this further, please let me know. If you know of anyone else who may be interested in one of these positions, I would really appreciate you forwarding this email.

Thank you,
Christine

Jackson, Mississippi:

  *   Senior Staff Attorney: https://careers-splcenter.icims.com/jobs/1214/senior-staff-attorney---children%27s-rights/job
  *   Staff Attorney: https://careers-splcenter.icims.com/jobs/1213/staff-attorney---children%27s-rights/job

New Orleans, Louisiana:

  *   Senior Supervising Attorney: https://careers-splcenter.icims.com/jobs/1237/senior-supervising-attorney---children%27s-rights/job
  *   Senior Staff Attorney: https://careers-splcenter.icims.com/jobs/1225/senior-staff-attorney---children%27s-rights/job

Montgomery, Alabama:

  *   Senior Supervising Attorney: https://careers-splcenter.icims.com/jobs/1163/senior-supervising-attorney---children%27s-rights/job

Christine Bischoff, Senior Supervising Attorney
Southern Poverty Law Center
111 E. Capitol Street, Ste. 280
Jackson, MS 39201
769-524-2015 (work)