[blindlaw] conducting investigations

Sai sai at fiatfiendum.org
Thu Nov 1 14:21:41 UTC 2018

> They tend to interview criminals.

*Alleged* criminals entitled to, but rarely receiving, presumption of
Innocence.

One of the compounding problems is that the people targeted for
investigation to begin with are a hugely skewed group. They then get pushed
to plea, even if innocent, which in turn makes the prosecution think they
were right, and feeds that cycle — completely regardless of actual accuracy.

Which is why e.g. an experienced cop may well have a completely sincere and
good faith "gut feeling" that the black guy did it and is lying, and not
even be (consciously) racist, but still be wrong.

Allowing this kind of totally spurious yet sincerely believed
pseudo-evidence into the process, anywhere, inevitably and systemically
worsens biases.

Blinding (in the other sense) is actually one of the few things that
provably improves your lie detection ability, because you don't get exposed
to distractor information that would bias your logic.

So if you're blind and can't see their mannerisms etc., that "disability"
is actually a *good* thing for your ability to get to the truth.

Ironic, and a bit of a pun… but it's true.

Sincerely,
Sai

Sent from my phone; please excuse the concision and autocorrect typos.

On Nov 1, 2018 15:02, "Stewart, Christopher K" <chris.stewart at uky.edu>