[blindlaw] Supposedly suspicious behaviors (WAS: conducting investigations)

Ben Fulton bluezinfandel at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 5 15:42:47 UTC 2018

OK, the obvious argument is that these indicators do not apply to blind and visually impaired people. Recognizing that someone is blind or visually impaired would negate much of this. I now use a dog, but used to use a cane, either of which made it pretty obvious that I am blind. Before then when I was visually impaired and didn't always use a cane, it did result in being asked more about apparently suspicious behaviours. Once I was actually kicked out of a club for stumbling on their poorly designed landing.

They may argue for more training with respect to disabilities, but may not be willing to overhaul the entire policy. You may have to deal with them seeking for ways to justify maintaining their status quo.

One reason I bring this up is because I am looking into a provision in the Ontario Human Rights Code that allows landlords sharing a kitchen or bathroom to discriminate on any of the prohibited grounds of discrimination. Normally if a room is being rented landlords aren't allowed to discriminate against the tenant, but the landlords can if they share a kitchen or bathroom.

I'm anticipating the argument being that the private sphere is something the legislature doesn't want to interfere with.
So, my argument is that by advertising publicly on Kijiji that the landlords have entered a commercial area where the constitution should apply, and therefore the provision in the human rights code is unconstitutional.

But I'm trying to anticipate the arguments that will be running against me in this challenge.

All the best,
Ben