[blindlaw] Supposedly suspicious behaviors (WAS: conducting investigations)

Sai sai at fiatfiendum.org
Mon Nov 5 16:33:07 UTC 2018

Ben:

My post doesn't have much to do with your concerns about cohabitating
landlord discrimination, however. The law for that is about as different
as it could be while still being disability related.

In the US, it is common for cohabitating landlords — like roommates — to
be allowed to discriminate in ways that absentee landlords are not. The
reason is simply that it's their home, and they have some rights to
decide who they want to live with, even if those decisions are bigoted.

As a simple example, it's legal in the US to say "no blacks, no gays, no
blind people" in a roommate ad — even though all of those would be
blatantly illegal to say (or do) in a general renting ad with landlord
off-premises. If someone's a homophobe, living with a gay person would
genuinely impair their ability to enjoy and feel comfortable at home.
Even bigots have the right to feel secure in their own home.

There might be a gray area inbetween (you're only sharing a kitchen,
after all), and maybe Canadian law differs. I'd guess you'll lose this,
but I wish you good luck.

As for TSA, I don't really give a damn if they're unwilling to overhaul
their policies. I tried to negotiate repeatedly, and they refused. Now
I'm suing them for violating the law. If the court agrees with me, then
TSA will either obey or get sanctioned.

Tai:

The policy I reference has no exclusion whatsoever for disability. It's
a list of behaviors and possessions. Nowhere in it does it say that you
don't get the point for no eye contact because you're blind.

You, Tai, are a reasonable person. You recognize that treating that as
suspicious is utterly absurd. You want to read in some sort of "but
don't count it if it's obviously justified" nullifier that isn't there.

Sadly, TSA isn't reasonable. They actually do this. They've done it to
me more than once, including calling the cops on me more than once. Even
though my disabilities were obvious and declared.

IMO this is of course a disproportionate-impact policy. So it's illegal
as a matter of disability law.

However, the underlying policy is also simply not justifiable on its
face. The behaviors are simply not indicators that someone has a weapon,
explosive, or incendiary — and that's all the TSA is allowed to search for.

So I want it banned outright. It doesn't even pass rational basis
scrutiny, let alone elevated or Rehab Act level. Some of it is even
deliberately meant as a restraint on the content of speech (e.g.
complaining about TSA policy), which is strict scrutiny.

I'm not sure what you mean about ocular scanners. TSA doesn't have any,
as far as I know. Maybe you mean CBP?

Sincerely,
Sai
President, Fiat Fiendum, Inc.