[blindlaw] taking the bar exam

Shelley Richards shelleyrichards9 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 14:10:10 UTC 2018

I seriously doubt that this would even be permitted, in any state. Asking to split the exam into two could very easily be called an accommodation witch fundamentally alters  the nature of the exam. It’s not meant to be to separate tests. As a blind person who both completed law school, and completed the bar exam, it is very possible for blind people to prepare for and take the bar exam as one test like everybody else has to. You can, and should be, given extended time to complete the exam, but I think the idea of splitting it into two separate parts which you plan on taking six months apart is not a good idea, and it would not be permitted. More importantly you do have to realize that as a blind attorney after law school and the bar exam you will have to meet deadlines. Telling your employer that your blind in things take you longer is not an excuse for missing deadlines, we’re not having materials prepared for a court date. Certain things may have taken me longer in law school, but I always turned everything in on time, the same time it was do for the rest of the class. You have to be able to do that in a workplace setting. It is not as hard as you are thinking to study for both sections of the bar exam at the same time. There is a lot of overlap between the two. I think it would be more difficult to study twice for two different sections rather than to study all at once for the entire exam. In the end however, no matter what your thoughts are, I’m pretty positive that it would not be allowed. No, I do not know of anybody who has done this, nor do I know if anybody who’s tried to request it either. Good luck with the bar exam. I hope you do well.
Shelley Palmadessa ESQ
  Sent from my iPhone