[blindlaw] Upcoming events at MD LBPH

Ashley Biggs -LBPH- ashley.biggs1 at maryland.gov
Tue Oct 2 15:16:42 UTC 2018

Hello everyone!

I just wanted to send a reminder of some great up-coming events hosted by
the library!

First Event:
In-Touch, presented by Baltimore Center Stage:
Date: October 9th and October 16th, 2018
Time: 11:00 AM
Location: 415 Park Ave., Baltimore, MD 21201
Combine the power of a good story with a skilled actor/storyteller and you
have one incredible story hour. We all know the joy we had as a child when
someone read aloud to us; all in our community enjoy the same comforts and
benefits that a story can provide. Join Baltimore Center Stage’s
storytelling artist as they make a personal connection and present dynamic,
engaging stories. We can’t wait to see you there! (While RSVP is not
required, it is recommended.)

Second Event:
Righting Wrongs: Scientific Evidence and the Wrongfully Convicted
Date: October 15, 2018
Time: 6:30 PM; Call in: 515-604-9516; Access Code: 202933
The Maryland State Library for the Blind and Physically Handicapped (LBPH)
is excited to announce that it will host a FREE teleconference program with
attorney Michele Nethercott, Director of the Innocence Project Clinic at
the University of Baltimore School of Law, focusing on the role that
science plays in the conviction and exoneration of defendants in criminal
cases. The event, entitled Righting Wrongs: Scientific Evidence and the
Wrongfully Convicted, is part of a larger collaborative effort with the
Maryland Humanities’ One Maryland, One Book campaign.

As part of the One Maryland, One Book reading campaign, the Maryland State
Library for the Blind and Physically Handicapped has invited Michele
Nethercott to speak about the role science plays in helping those who have
been wrongfully convicted overturn their verdicts. Ms. Nethercott is the
Director of the Innocence Project Clinic and has spent her career working
to help those wrongfully convicted. She received her B.A. in Economics from
Sarah Lawrence College in 1980 and her J.D. from Northeastern University
School of Law in 1984. She has worked as a trial attorney in the Maryland
State Office of the Public Defender since 1988. In the 1990s, Ms.
Nethercott took additional courses at Johns Hopkins University in molecular
biology and genetics to acquire in-depth knowledge of what was then a new
type of evidence being introduced to the legal system, evidence obtained by
DNA testing. She is now a nationally recognized legal expert in DNA
evidence and other forms of scientific evidence, having served as co-chair
of the Forensic Evidence Committee for the National Association of Criminal
Defense Lawyers.

Third Event:
Technology User Group Meeting: