[blindlaw] conducting investigations

Stewart, Christopher K chris.stewart at uky.edu
Wed Oct 31 15:48:31 UTC 2018

This claim is ableist and absurd. First, many common tells of lying
are readily detectable to a blind person: throat clearing; vocal
tension; shallower breathing; fidgiting or feet shuffling; over
verbosity; unnatural hesitations inconsistent with the rest of their
answers. I could go on and on. The notion that because we can't see
one or two visual cues we can't spot a falsehood is ridiculous.

Moreover, in investigative work, experienced investigators will tell
you they often follow their gut. Of course blind people have gut
instincts as well. But at the end of the day, as lawyers, what our gut
says doesn't matter, it's what the testimony and the facts reveal.
That's the record we work with. I've seen seasoned lawyers go down
rabbit holes in depositions that leave me scratching my head, knowing
they just waisted their time and didn't get what they were after. It
happens, and it has nothing to do with whether or not they can see.

Best,
Chris