[blindlaw] Discriminatory treatment against the disabled in the administration of insurance policies

Rahul Bajaj rahul.bajaj1038 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 18:24:19 UTC 2018

Hi everyone,

I am currently working on a matter before the Indian Supreme Court which relates to the denial of insurance policies to persons with disabilities. The gravamen of our case is that a candidate's blindness cannot be the basis to (a) refuse to grant insurance; (b) grant it on less favourable terms; or (c) to refuse to honour a claim by erroneously linking it with the insured's disability.

 We are looking for cases from other jurisdictions to buttress our arguments. I am wondering if members of this list are aware of any American cases which may have a bearing on these issues. I'd also like to know if there are specific statutory provisions that deal with nondiscrimination in the grant of insurance policies. Any leads from other jurisdictions would also be helpful. Thank you.

Best,
Rahul
Sent from my iPhone