[blindlaw] Writing the bar exam

Graham Hardy GHardy at harrisbrun.com
Tue Sep 18 15:53:11 UTC 2018

Hi Ben,

I wrote the bar in British Columbia and had a similar experience (though a much smaller number of questions). Two things were helpful. First, when I approached the Law Society, they gladly provided me their source files in Microsoft Word format. These were, of course, formatted for printing and I had to clean up their formatting quite a bit. I also applied heading styles so that I could jump around using JAWS quick navigation commands. I knew that many students used indices but I didn't bother trying to rely on those, as I knew that having a page number would only point to a rather large section of a document, given the small font, and it would have taken longer to search things out. In addition to headings, which helped me navigate quickly to places I was very familiar with, I used the text search commands to look for words in areas which I hadn't indexed. Above all, tempting as it may be to use the open book as a crutch, it cannot be emphasised too much that having an open book should be a memory aid and can slow anyone down, sighted or blind, who has to look things up for every question. You should try as much as humanly possible to be familiar with the material.

Graham Hardy | Lawyer  604-608-2043 | ghardy at harrisbrun.com

HARRIS & BRUN LAW CORPORATION - Barristers & Solicitors
500 - 555 West Georgia  Vancouver  BC  V6B 1Z6
Phone: 604-683-2466   Fax: 604-683-4541   www.harrisbrun.com

This transmission is directed in confidence solely to the person named above, and may not otherwise be distributed, copied or disclosed. The contents of this transmission may also be subject to solicitor-client privilege and all rights to that privilege are expressly claimed and not waived. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify us immediately by telephone (collect if necessary) at (604) 683-2466, and destroy the original transmission without making a copy.