[blindlaw] Reduced Billable Hour Requirement as an ADA accommodation

James Fetter jtfetter at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 20 02:19:20 UTC 2018

Michal,
I would have to look into the cases concerning law firms or similar businesses with billable hour requirements. I don’t see why the logic of ADA cases and regs, which do require employers to be open to a certain amount of rearrangement of job functions, would not apply to billable hour requirements. So on paper, there might be a case to be made here. Of course, the firm would argue that meeting the billable hour requirement was an essential job function, and I don’t see too many federal judges, especially those coming out of big law, disagreeing.
Regardless, I would be extremely hesitant to try to make that case. Far too many firms are already skittish about hiring us, either because their document management systems are inaccessible or because of ableist assumptions about our productivity. Requesting a reduction in billable hours would raise a huge red flag. The harsh reality is that most of us will simply have to work harder, and potentially put in longer hours, than our sighted peers to get, and keep, good legal jobs.

Sent from my iPhone