[blindlaw] Update on Jaws and Track Changes

Laura Wolk laura.wolk at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 13:30:22 UTC 2019

Sorry for the cross-post, but in case some folks are following one
thread and not another:

VFO is planning on issuing a new release some time in the next month
to address as many of these concerns as possible.  I will be working
with them on their Beta test to make sure they are actually addressed.
Microsoft will also be working on things from their end, but they will
primarily be implementing them in the latest build, so I anticipate
that we will need to advocate for upgrades to the latest version of
office as accommodations in our job.

Here is the list of issues about which Vfo and Microsoft are aware.
Please let me know if anything that you are encountering is not on
this list.

1. virtual viewer does not show more than approximately 150 revisions.
Also impacts the list tracked change feature.
2. Jaws occasionally reads both the old and the revised text.
3. Revisions of footnotes don’t show up in virtual viewer at all.
4. Jaws becomes sluggish when editing footnotes, headers and footers, comments.
5. Reliably being able to select text in footnotes, headers and
footers, comment bubbles.
6. Always showing dots 7-8 on the display in footnotes.
7. Braille cursor routing keys do not work correctly when editing footnotes.
8. If footnotes are long, Braille display will stop advancing after a
certain point.
9. Jaws will report a revision at the beginning of the line, rather
than announcing the revision exactly where the revised text occurs.
10. call numbers of footnotes not being read in the footnote pane.
11. When switching from show all mark-up to no-markup, hidden
properties are still read, requiring a manual refresh.
12. General sluggishness/lagginess when navigating the ribbon.

Thanks everyone!

Laura