[blindLaw] ABYY FineReader Stability with Jaws?

Laura Wolk laura.wolk at gmail.com
Sat Aug 3 11:19:38 UTC 2019

All,

If anyone regularly uses ABYY FineReader instead of Adobe for handling
PDFs, I would really appreciate being contacted offline.  Here's the
skinny.

My job is extremely PDF heavy,often with horribly tagged and un-ocr'd
documents, which we have no way of controlling.  For years, I rely
typically on K1000 as a work-around Adobe's finickiness with Jaws.
Except that, for reasons we can't understand, K1000 will not launch on
my system.  We've been working diligently on this for three weeks with
no success.  In the meantime, I've had to rely on Adobe pro, which for
reasons well rehashed, we all know is not a sustainable option. (Note,
in my copious free time, ha! I have been trying to negotiate with
Vispero and Adobe on this).

The potentially good news is that I do also have access to ABBYY
FineReader.  I've heard people mention this in the past as a
substitute for K1000 or OpenBook, but not as a PDF reader.  Yesterday,
I tried loading a PDF in it, got some notice like "loading scans,"
nothing happened after about a minute, and I panicked, basically
thinking "I don't have time to figure this out now, I need to get this
done," and resorted back to Adobe.

So if anyone has success with this program and can charitably donate
their time to me to give me a crash course instead of having me
self-teach and figure out if there's some settings I need to tweak or
whatever, I would be ever so grateful.

thanks much,
Laura