[blindLaw] reading word documents with multiple text columns

Laura Wolk laura.wolk at gmail.com
Fri Aug 16 11:20:19 UTC 2019

Hi all,

As some of you may know, if you download opinions from Westlaw in Word
format, the text displays as two columns on the page.  For reasons
that are unavoidable, I sometimes need to work with these documents.
I also need to cite to them as they are displayed, so converting is
yet again not an option.  Neitehr is going to Westlaw itself and
reading the opinion directly or via another format.  I can do that if
all I need is the info; I can't if I need to cite it.

When I try reading these documents with Jaws, it will just read
straight down the column instead of going back up to the top of the
page to read the other column.  Does anyone know of a setting I can
change so that Jaws will recognize and read these documents correctly?

Thanks,
Laura