[blindLaw] Accommodations When Visiting a Law Library Open to the Public

James T. Fetter jtfetter at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 21 12:51:49 UTC 2019

Amy,

Under the ADA, you should have equal access to the law library as other
members of the public. I doubt you could just show up and expect to have
a computer with Jaws installed, but if you ask for the accommodation
ahead of time, I can't think of a reason for them to refuse it. If cost
were an issue for them, would you be willing to suggest, and work with,
NVDA?

I don't know off the top of my head/without doing research whether your
complaint could relate back to discrimination you faced as a student.
Depending on your state's SoL and when they last discriminated against
you, you may be barred from bringing these complaints in court, unless
there was additional discrimination. If you want to start with an OCR
complaint--are you referring to DOJ OCR?--then you may as well include
the past discrimination. However, I wouldn't hold my breath on getting a
response from them these days. In other words, if you're serious about
this, you may want to start looking for private counsel, as soon as you
are discriminated against.