[blindlaw] Braille

Singh, Nandini NSingh at cov.com
Fri Feb 1 15:51:23 UTC 2019

It really depends on the setting for me whether to use Braille or a screen reader. I use Braille for taking notes when speaking with co-counsel, opposing counsel, or else second chairing a witness interview. Much to my dismay, I cannot productively listen to two streams of audio, so Braille works better because it is quieter. I use it during presentations, which are largely memorized. However, the Braille, whether on a display or on index cards, in part reminds me of my main points and in part gives me something to tactually manipulate, as I like to fidget. Finally, Braille is good for labeling. I have often taken a slate and stylus to a sheaf of print documents and punched out the title on the first page so when I come across said packet later, I can just check what it is.

The most amusing side to all this is having to shred Braille notes after a matter is concluded! I realize that chances are slim that anyone who enters our firm would be able to read them. However, they still count as attorney work product and should be handled accordingly. Needless to say, this goes for how you would deal with any brf or other digital Braille electronic files.