[blindlaw] FW: Don't forget to register for the 2019 Jacobus tenBroek Disability Law Symposium!

Scott C. LaBarre slabarre at labarrelaw.com
Wed Feb 13 13:53:51 UTC 2019

FYI

From: Dubnow, Stacie <SDubnow at nfb.org>
Sent: Wednesday, February 13, 2019 6:29 AM
To: Dubnow, Stacie <SDubnow at nfb.org>
Subject: Don't forget to register for the 2019 Jacobus tenBroek Disability Law Symposium!

Registration is Now Open!

for the

2019 Jacobus tenBroek Disability Law Symposium

The Impact of Public Attitudes and Stigma on Our Right to Live in the World

March 28–March 29, 2019

at the

National Federation of the Blind Jernigan Institute

Baltimore, Maryland

Join nationally renowned disability rights advocates at the United States’ leading disability law symposium to examine Dr. Jacobus tenBroek’s extraordinary legacy through a social lens, exploring the intersection of law and public attitudes about disability. We will focus on how public attitudes about disability induce negative stereotypes of the disabled homeless, immigrants, and persons with mental health diagnoses, as well as how these attitudes influence treatment under the law of persons with disabilities in education, healthcare, employment, housing, and the criminal justice system. Finally, we will explore strategies for combatting the stigma and systemic discrimination against persons with disabilities by, among other methods, exploring how we frame the image of disability in advocacy.

The keynote speaker will be Paul Harpur, a senior lecturer at the TC Beirne School of Law, University of Queensland and a Distinguished Fellow with the Burton Blatt Institute, Syracuse University.

The presenters will include:

*	Elizabeth Barnes, Professor, University of Virginia, Corcoran Department of Philosophy
*	Ira Burnim, Director, Judge David L. Bazelon Center for Mental Health
*	Matthew Dietz, Litigation Director, Disability Independence Group
*	Susan Einspar, Senior Parent Educator/Advocate, PACER Center
*	Aaron J. Fischer, Litigation Counsel, Disability Rights California
*	Maria Foscarinis, Founder and Executive Director, National Law Center on Homelessness and Poverty
*	Katharine Gordon, Disability Immigration Rights Attorney
*	Eve Hill, Partner, Brown Goldstein & Levy, LLP
*	Catherine J. Kudlick, Director, Paul K. Longmore Institute on Disability, and Professor of History, San Francisco State University
*	Scott LaBarre, Partner, LaBarre Law Offices, PC
*	Lycette Nelson, Partner, Law Office of Lycette Nelson
*	Victoria Rodriguez-Roldan, Senior Policy Counsel, Trans/GNC Justice Project, and Disability Justice Project Director, National LGBTQ Task Force
*	Michael Ashley Stein, Co-founder and Executive Director, Harvard Law School Project on Disability, and Visiting Professor, Harvard Law School
*	Mark C. Weber, Vincent DePaul Professor of Law, DePaul University College of Law
*	Naomi Weinstein, Attorney, Mental Hygiene Legal Service
*	David Yamada, Professor of Law and Director, New Hampshire Workplace Institute, Suffolk University Law School

Documentation for CLE credits will be provided.

Registration fee: $200 (nonrefundable)

Student registration fee: $25 (nonrefundable)

For more information about the symposium, hotel accommodations, and symposium sponsorship opportunities, please visit https://nfb.org/law-symposium.

You can register online by going to Jacobus tenBroek Disability Law Symposium Online Registration <https://nfb.org/civicrm/event/register?reset=1&id=249&participantrole=c4ca4238a0b923820dcc509a6f75849b> .

For additional information, please contact:

Lou Ann Blake, JD

Deputy Executive Director

Jernigan Institute

National Federation of the Blind

200 East Wells Street

at Jernigan Place

Baltimore, MD 21230

Telephone: 410-659-9314, extension 2221

Email: lblake at nfb.org <mailto:lblake at nfb.org>

Stacie Dubnow, J.D.

Project Manager

200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230

(410) 659-9314, Ext. 2442 | sdubnow at nfb.org <mailto:sdubnow at nfb.org>

 <https://nfb.org/>

                          <http://www.facebook.com/nationalfederationoftheblind>      <https://twitter.com/NFB_Voice>      <https://www.youtube.com/NationsBlind>