[blindlaw] Seeking guidance

Laura Wolk laura.wolk at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 22:48:20 UTC 2019

Thanks for sharing, Rahul.  I partially agree with him, but I think he
overestimates how much a good resume and transcript translates into a
thought that the student has "clearly demonstrated" his intellect. I
don't think that's really how it works.  At least, that's certainly
not how my OCI interviews worked. LOL.  I think that, even when
presented with positive evidence of a blind person's capability, the
tendency is still to overlook it or to think, probably unconsciously,
that firm life is just different, or that perhaps the school was
lenient (as say, the employer himself might be tempted to be lenient
with a disabled person he didn't think could really hack it).  I know
this is a hot take that many might not agree with, but what I began to
do was, at the end of the interview when they said "do you have any
questions?" I would say something like "actually, I was just wondering
if you'd like me to explain the technology I use that allows me to
succeed and do bluebooking on the law review."  This really caught
people off guard.  Only one firm said "no, we'd rather not talk about
that." (you might be shocked to hear that I didn't get a callback from
them).  But it worked.  They almost never asked follow-up questions,
probably for fear of running afoul of the ADA which is rather sad, but
I did get a few "Oh! So you are able to Bluebook?" Or "Wow, I didn't
realize that Westlaw was completely accessible!" and other similar
type things that without question would have impacted their decision
had they not gotten out in the open.

Just my thoughts.

On 1/3/19, James T. Fetter via BlindLaw <blindlaw at nfbnet.org> wrote:
> [...]
>> about how they would do anything with a given disability.  So, when
>> they meet you, they can't imagine how to do it with that specific
>> disability. This
>> is the big obstacle  for anyone-changing their thinking.
>>
>> It isn't easy, and you can't quit trying.  I know America may have a
>> better opportunity than other countries, but I am not sure of that
>> statement.  The
>> disabled are a vocal group in America and some disabilities are more
>> vocal than others.  I think the blind and the wheelchair bound are the
>> most well-known
>> for fighting for equality in hiring and rights.
>>
>> The battle will be more successful when the business communities
>> including the legal profession, recognize ability, not disability.
>>
>> I was not a top student and not sure where Denver School of Law
>> ranked, but I struggled early with blindness, found other work and did
>> well, had early
>> struggles with the law business before catching some breaks, taking
>> advantage of o[opportunities, and being in the right place at the
>> right time with the
>> right politics and professional backing to land well for a successful
>> career.
>>
>> I'm blessed and grateful.  The publicity I had over 20 years has, I
>> hope, opened some doors for others to more easily find success.  The
>> woman working
>> for Justice Thomas is a great story and that will help others in my
>> opinion.
>>
>> Let me end this with a simple observation.  We all can't do what we
>> think we would like to do.  There are several reasons that some
>> opportunities don't
>> work out for us.  Skill or lack thereof, intellectual capacity,
>> financial wherewithal, physical ability, or even just simple luck. We
>> just do the best
>> we can with what we have.  Life is like a card game-you may just have
>> to play the cards you are dealt.
>>
>> Often, the disabled have to deal their own hand in life and that may
>> include borrowing for school, borrowing to work alone, and facing the
>> daunting obstacle
>> of making a living in a tough business.  The legal education  is
>> expensive, the work often grueling and financial reward marginal.
>> Today, there are more
>> lawyers here than there is work, so many struggle finding suitable
>> employment even when not disabled.  It is a tough decision as to
>> whether to enter the
>> profession at all these day."
>>
>> Best,
>> Rahul
>>

>> On 28/12/2018, Tai Tomasi via BlindLaw <blindlaw at nfbnet.org> wrote:
>>> I agree with Jim's conclusion. If you have any uncertainty or merely a
>>> vague
>>> interest in a legal career, I would advise against law school. However,
>>> if
>>> you have a very specific goal which requires a law degree, I would say go

>>> do. I never had a law job and haven't had any position that required a
>>> law
>>> degree. I've made a decent living and believe my law degree may have been