[blindlaw] BrailleNote Touch Thoughts

Jim McCarthy jmccarthy at mdtap.org
Thu Jan 10 15:32:59 UTC 2019

When the touch was first introduced to us, it became my opinion that it
would not be practical unless a user could use the tablet and leave the
keyboard/bulky case  behind! At that time, the braille writing feature would
fail from time to time making leaving the case at home a real risk in
work/school environments. It does seem that the braille ability has become
more reliable but I know several people who, like Deepa, carry the entire
unit. It appears Angie uses the tablet for some typing. For me a touch
screen interface is not the most intuitive for blind users. It is not that
they lack access as I believe Voiceover (the touch screen solution with
which I am by far most familiar) is brilliantly executed. I think we have so
thoroughly moved to touch screen devices, not because of their comfort or
usability for our community, but because of the access to apps that we do
not receive through devices that use buttons instead of screens. Most blind
people I know use a keyboard, either a braille display or qwerty, when doing
extensive writing/keyboard work with in a touch screen environment. The Hims
Polaris appears to meet that desire better. Humanware seems to have lots of
support in the k-12 educational space, or at least the unit we have here at
our AT Act program is out most of the time borrowed by schools around
Maryland. For me a Bluetooth display paired to a tablet is the best
solution, but that pairing does not hold as well as I would wish in many
situations.