[blindlaw] Information: Accessibility Webinar Series, Microsoft

Nightingale, Noel Noel.Nightingale at ed.gov
Tue Jan 22 20:55:34 UTC 2019

Blindlaw listers,

Because of the discussion on this list about accessibility of Office features, I thought the below information about Webinars by Microsoft might be of interest.

Noel

https://sway.office.com/ofnj0y3PT7dnqb0Z

Accessibility Webinar Series
Microsoft

At Microsoft, our mission is to empower every person and
organization on the planet to achieve more. We are committed
to delivering great experiences and customer service to people
with disabilities. We have received feedback from many of our
customers asking for training on the accessibility features of our
products. Our team also understands not all our customers
have the flexibility to connect with Microsoft accessibility
experts at conferences. In response to overwhelming demand,
we are launching a monthly webinar series to empower every
customer with accessibility knowledge.

Each month we will bring an interactive online event where any
customer with a disability can learn about the latest Microsoft
accessibility features, productivity tips for school and work, or
technology that enables a more independent and full life. Each
webinar will last one hour and is divided into two parts. First,
guest presenters from Microsoft product teams will demonstrate
how to use technology through a live video broadcast. Then,
attendees and presenters will participate in a moderated
question and answer session.

Read on to find out about upcoming events and register.

Schedule & Registration

Thank you for your interest in attending an Accessibility
Webinar. Below, you will find descriptions to upcoming webinars
followed by a link to register. Prior to the event, you will receive
an email with the link to join the webinar as well as how to
access captions and other accessibility features during the
webinar. There is a limit to the number of attendees for each
webinar, so please be sure to register early and only for the
events you want to attend.

Magnifier and Low Vision
Features in Windows 10

February 20, 2019, 12:00 - 1:00 pm Pacific Time (8:00 - 9:00 pm
GMT)

Presented by Jason Grieves from the Windows team.

Microsoft's mission is to "empower every person and every
organization on the planet to achieve more" and this session will
dive into how Microsoft is empowering people who are Low
Vision to achieve more!

This session is intended to demonstrate the low vision
accessibility features in Windows 10, including features recently
introduced in the Windows 10 October 2018 update. We will
also announce some features that are planned for 2019. Finally,
we will describe how to become a "Windows Insider" to get
early releases of new features and how to provide feedback on
both generally available and early releases of Windows 10.

This session will demonstrate new features like:

*Magnifier centered mouse mode that makes it easier to find
and use the mouse cursor.
* "Make Text Bigger" option that increases the text size across
Start, Windows Mail, Office, web applications such as Twitter
and Netflix, and many other applications and places within
Windows.
Join us to ask your questions about the latest Low Vision
features in Windows 10 and learn what's next.

Register for Magnifier and Low Vision Features in Windows 10 [link]

Navigating the New Office
Ribbon

March 20, 2019, 12:00 - 1:00 pm Pacific Time (8:00 - 9:00 pm
GMT)

Presented by Jeremy Spurlin and Lorena Huang Liu from the
Office team.

Have you ever found it difficult to find a specific command in the
Office Ribbon while editing a Word document or composing an
email reply? If you have used Office Online recently, you may
have noticed a new Simplified Ribbon that is more streamlined
and has fewer visible controls. This session will show how you
can focus better on your content with less distraction in the
Ribbon while still being able to access all of the Ribbon with
your favorite commands, and quickly navigate the Simplified

Ribbon with your keyboard.

Register for Navigating the New Office Ribbon [link]

Feedback & Support

Microsoft is committed to delivering the best possible
experience for all our customers. Would you like to suggest a
topic for a future webinar? Let us know through the Microsoft
Accessibility Forum Accessibility Webinar category.

If you have a disability or have questions related to accessibility,
please contact the Microsoft Disability Answer Desk for
technical assistance. This includes help registering or joining an
Accessibility Webinar. The Disability Answer Desk support team
is trained in using many popular assistive technologies and can
offer assistance in English, Spanish, French, and American Sign
Language.

If you are a government agency, business, school, or other
organization, you can connect with an accessibility expert by
contacting the enterprise Disability Answer Desk. The support
team can answer accessibility related questions about Microsoft
products, file bugs or feature requests, and track down
accessibility conformance reports.

Archives

Did you miss an event or are you unable to attend the live
session? All events are recorded and a link to the recording will
be posted below within a few days after the event.

Narrator 101

Coming Soon!

January 16, 2019, 12:00 - 1:00 pm Pacific Time (8:00 - 9:00 pm
GMT)

Presented by Jeff Bishop and Mariah Moon from the Narrator
team.

Windows 10 includes features designed to empower every
person to achieve their full potential, including people with
vision, hearing, mobility, cognitive and speech disabilities. This
session is designed for those individuals wanting to learn more
about how to use Narrator, the free built in screen reader
included with Windows 10. In the current Windows release we
have brought a number of major improvements to Narrator to
make it easier to learn and use as well as making it more
familiar for existing screen reader users. Join us, ask questions,
and learn directly from members of the Narrator team.

During this session we will demonstrate how to:

*Start Narrator.
*Use the new QuickStart tutorial
*Fine tune your Narrator experience with the rich set of
Settings.
*Browse the web with Narrator.
*Send and receive email with Narrator.

After completing this session you should be familiar with the
basic concepts needed to use Narrator, including using basic
Narrator commands, browsing the web, changing Narrator
settings and sending and receiving email.