[blindlaw] Readings

kelby carlson kelbycarlson at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 14:47:13 UTC 2019

Get the best grades you possibly can. The best way to do this, in my opinion, is as many practice exams and sample questions for each class as humanly possible. Outlining is helpful, but won't guarantee anything. Definitely don't use somebody else's outline, no matter how tempting it is or how hard the class is. Bad grades first year will kill your chances at a good internship or summer associate position. Get on journal, and follow James's advice about that. Work really, really hard on your article so it can be published.

Try and have a definite idea of what law you want to do as quickly as possible. You don't want to be floundering around trying to get random jobs or internships. If you are having trouble deciding, try to get a judicial internship the summer after 1L year with a judge that does a variety of cases. If you want a federal clerkship, you must be on the lookout your first year, and begin applying your second year. You will probably have to apply for hundreds of things so be prepared. Also, be willing to relocate if possible, but do try to have some idea of where you want to practice. If you can get internships in that state, it will be easier to find jobs.

Sent from my iPhone