[blindLaw] Using autopsy results as evidence?

Daniel McBride dlmlaw at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jul 27 15:49:47 UTC 2019

Good Morning Cecilia:

I am a blind attorney in Fort Worth, Texas. I entered law school in 1979,
wanting to be a criminal defense lawyer. I spent 23 years in the criminal
field, 3 years as a prosecutor and 20 years as a criminal defense attorney.
For the past 12 years, I have gotten away from the criminal field and become
more of an Estate Planning & Probate attorney.

Considering factors such as level of difficulty, the stress involved,
dealing with clients and their families and income, I would recommend
considering a field other than criminal law. There are other fields of
practice that are far less difficult, less stressful and more profitable.

This opinion would be different if one could secure a prosecutor's position
with a view to making it a lifelong career. The prosecutor's side is far
easier than the defense side with the exception of the caseload one might be
required to manage in a particular prosecutor's office.

For example, I last interviewed for a prosecutor's position in 2012, with
the Tarrant County District Attorney's office. During the interview, I asked
about the caseload that each prosecutor would be expected to manage. The
answer was a consistent caseload of 750 cases. Well, quite frankly, there's
no way I could have managed such a caseload. I kindly withdrew my interest
and thanked the hiring panel for their time.

Other's might disagree with my opinion, but that is my two cents worth and I
offer it in all sincerity for what it's worth. I am glad to discuss this
with you off-list if you wish.

Daniel McBride
dlmlaw at sbcglobal.net
817 917 8847