[blindLaw] Question for prosecturos

Aser Tolentino agtolentino at gmail.com
Mon Jul 29 14:41:07 UTC 2019

Good morning,

Different offices each have their own way of operating. There are still some counties in the US that at most have one or two prosecuting attorneys, so they will by necessity be generalists. Larger offices have units that handle specific types of crime, with more specialization the bigger you get. A decent sized office will have different units for misdemeanors, property and drug offenses, sexual offenses and crimes against persons, with even more granularity possible when you have the people to assign to specific priorities. An example of this might be that you have specific people who do capital cases. You may also see situations where specific grants fund the hiring of someone to handle designated crime sor deal with a particular issue. Another thing to consider is that offices may adopt either vertical or horizontal approaches to case management, where cases either stay with a particular attorney from the time they come out of intake until post-conviction, or they might pass cases from calendaring and pre-trial to trial teams and then appeals. In short, it’s that classic lawyer answer: it depends. I hope that helps.

Respectfully,
Aser Tolentino, Esq.