[blindlaw] Federal Hiring Processes and Accommodations

Ronza Othman rothmanjd at gmail.com
Thu Jun 13 23:58:52 UTC 2019

Hi,
I am the Chair of the NFB Blind Federal Employment Committee, a former
Reasonable Accommodations Coordinator, and currently an EEO Complaints
Director.  I'd say that the answers to your questions are complicated.
First, an agency can indeed require documentation from you of the disability
before providing accommodations.  That documentation should ordinarily be
from a medical professional, and while Voc Rehab letters are fine for
certifying disability for Schedule A, they aren't sufficient for reasonable
accommodation.  The complexity comes into play though when the medical
condition is obvious, and in those instances employers shouldn't require
medical documentation of obvious conditions - blindness is an obvious
condition by the way.  However, in pre-employment screenings and the
interview process, they don't know you and haven't seen that your condition
is obvious, so it's not so simple.  I'd refer you to the EEOC's Guidance on
Pre-Employment Screenings and Medical Examinations.

Is it reasonable to ask for more time?  Definitely.  Is one business day and
two weekend days reasonable?  Probably not.  I'd say something like a week
to 10 calendar days is reasonable - because if your condition is obvious,
you should be able to get a letter from your doctor - and remember, it can
be any doctor - saying you are blind - diagnosis, prognosis, and limitation.

Ronza Othman, President
443-426-4110