[blindlaw] IEP Question

rwayne1 at nyc.rr.com rwayne1 at nyc.rr.com
Mon Jun 17 14:39:05 UTC 2019

Hi All:
I am working with an eighteen-year old blind high school student and her
family. They are dissatisfied with the notetaking device that the school
district purchased for her (I will not identify the device or company here).

They want the school district to purchase a device made by a different
company. They are getting pushback from the district, which wants to upgrade
the device she currently has. I don't know if they are trying to save money,
or just think they know better than does a blind student and her parents.
I think the family has a strong case, but I need some guidance on how best
to convince the district that the student's and her family's preference
should be taken into consideration. Rather than bore everyone on this list
with replies, if any of you has any experience or thoughts, please contact
me off list.
Thanks in advance.
Ray Wayne, New York City