[blindlaw] Embedded images in cases/other filings

Singh, Nandini NSingh at cov.com
Thu May 2 20:05:39 UTC 2019

To an extent, yes. I remember taking a legal writing course a few years ago that offered the multi-media approach to brief drafting. Our textbook sampled a brief that had pictures of a monument, with the brief acting as tour guide of the structure. That being said, the important legal points could still be made sans pictures.

I did not encounter too many embedded graphics or images in briefs when I was clerking. The most notable case was a child pornography matter, where the purportedly offending photograph was part of the appendix. I think you are not really talking about these types of briefs though.

At my firm, we have a fairly traditional approach. Motions and briefs are verbal. The main exception would be expert report submissions, which have the entire range of visuals.

The only other time that a table or chart is used in what I think is a productive way occurs in indictments and sentencing reports involving money laundering or structuring criminal offenses. These graphics can be fairly simple to negotiate, as their main purpose is to illustrate date, amount of money, and parties.

I will say, however, for internal work product, people love using proof charts and massive spreadsheets to create chronologies or summaries, i.e. making bulleted lists within a cell of a table. I find it a bit weird, since this gets visually very cluttered based on input from my non-lawyer friends. I am also of the opinion that law is meant to be a literary profession, so all these charts, with their color coding and flow diagrams, may obscure more than clarify.