[blindLaw] limitation on blind attorneys

Derek Manners dmanners at jd16.law.harvard.edu
Sun Aug 2 16:03:14 UTC 2020

Meaning why I was not able to do JAG?

For the reasons that were explained on the list earlier. Officers in the active military have to be able to serve in a combat role if needed, even if they are in a non-combat position. I thought it was dumb and discriminatory before I got there, but I agree with the policy now. Being in the military comes with a lifetime of benefits, and JAGs, for example, do go to combat zones even if they aren’t in active combat positions. I’m sure I could survive in an army base in Iraq for example, but I get why the military would be hesitant to have a blind lawyer serve in that role. JAGs aren’t just desk jockeys in DC, they are often adjacent to the battlefield, and our enemies abroad won’t give us reasonable accommodations to do our job.

Best regards
Derek

Sent from my iPhone