[blindLaw] JAWS does not identify change from underline to double underline or strike through to double strike through

Shannon Dillon shannonldillon at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 21:22:53 UTC 2020

Hi everyone,

Does anyone else have the following issues when working with
underline/double underline and strikethrough/double strikethrough?

JAWS does not tell me when I have single or double underline. The
voice indicates via pitch there is underlining, but I have to use
insert+f on each character to identify which character is single
underline and which is double underline.

The same issue occurs with single and double strikeout.

Also, when I have text that is single underline and double
strikethrough, JAWS just reads at its normal pitch. It says that the
text is underline and strikethrough but does not say whether each
attribute is single or double.

Finally, when the attributes change in the middle of a word or with
words that are written together, such as when a word that has been
added immediately precedes a word that has been deleted, JAWS does not
tell you when you use the right arrow to read through the word that
the attributes changed from double underline to single underline and
double strikethrough.

I am working in Windows 10, JAWS 2020.2008.24, and Office 365. Along
with using colors to indicate specific changes, we use
underline/strikeout to indicate changes made at one date, and double
underline/double strikeout to indicate changes made at a different
date.

--
SHANNON L. DILLON
Secretary and Legislative Coordinator