[blindLaw] Reading text aloud verbatim while listening to JAWS

Derek Dittmar derekjdittmar at gmail.com
Thu Jan 9 13:09:57 UTC 2020

Rahul,

I have extensive experience using the method that Dr. Harpur outlined
above.  I was able to successfully use this as an award-winning
debater and public speaker, as well as in law school on trial and moot
court teams.  I also workd for three years teaching oral advocacy and
presentation techniques, with a special focus on working with people
with disabilities.  Here are a few of my thoughts:

First, don't worry.  The fear of sounding unnatural while reading, as
well as finding ways to emphasize and hit a good tone, is not limited
to persons with vidual disabilities.  Everyone struggles with this.  I
do know that it's harder when you have a speedy robot voice in your
ear though...

It does take a bit of trial and error to get this down.  I typically
break up sentences by line based on phrases.  In other words, I often
end lines at organic pauses and begin lines with words that I want to
emphasize.  My best practice was to practice 2-3 times.  The first run
through was all the way, and then I would stop when I would lose the
thread of the phrase or begin to sound unnatural (if you have a hard
time picking up on that, I recommend recording yourself).

I keep jaws pretty fast for writing and reading.  When I am speaking,
I might slow it down 10-15%, just so it's not speeding through.  But
generally jaws will be a few words ahead of what's coming out of my
mouth.

This method also has the benefit of letting you make eye contact with
your audience.  You will appear more engaging and available as
compared to someone staring down at their notes.  (For the same
reason, I will typically keep a laptop screen tilted down, close to
the tops of my hands, to lessen the amount of my body covered by the
screen).  You can also be intentional about using the arrow keys with
one hand, leaving the other for gestures, if this is something with
which you are comfortable.

If there were particular words I wanted to emphasize (particularly in
poetry reading), I had some markup strategies.  A * before the word,
for example, would remind me to hit it harder.  A - would tell me to
soften.  A ^ would remind me to take a breath pause.  This was usually
only used in high levels of forensic competitions, where those pauses
and modulations were a way of getting a higher score.

Finally, the advice that I give most often for speakers (regardless of
sight) is that you should know your speech or presentation well enough
so that, if the pages unexpectedly went blank, you would not stop
mid-word.  Some good familiar with your speech or presentation means
that, if jaws does something weird, you are able to give a strong (if
not 100% accurate to the text) delivery.  And, unless you are quoting
something hugely important (the Constitution, a case, etc) that's
almost always good enough.

If you have other questions, I'm happy to chat off list.

Warmly yours,
Derek

Derek J. Dittmar, J.D., LL.M
(919)816-7549