[blindLaw] Braille Displays

Singh, Nandini NSingh at cov.com
Mon Jan 13 14:02:52 UTC 2020

All,

My Braille Note Apex may be near to expiring.  Depending on the diagnostic report from Humanware, I may be in the market for a refreshable Braille device.  I am thinking of purchasing a display and not a note taker, but I have a few questions since I have not spent much time with a Braille display:

First, I have not gotten around to learning UEB, so I am wondering how displays support, if at all, the legacy American English literary code.  Is there a setting in the display firmware I can adjust, or is there a special driver I would need in my PC or iPhone to enable the older literary code?

Do people tend to have one display for the computer and a smaller, portable one for the iPhone/iPad?  Do you instead use the same one for multiple devices, and if so, I assume you cycle useages sequentially?  Can you tell me how you negotiate the transition from proofing a document on your PC to reading shortly thereafter an email on your phone's gmail app, as a for instance?

Criminal defense attorneys and litigators, can you generally please describe how and where you use a Braile display.  Note taking, depositions/witness interviews, oral arguments, settlement meetings, etc.  Let me know also the  model of the display, the number of cells, and how you like its performance.

Many thanks,
Nikki

Nandini Singh

Covington & Burling LLP