[blindLaw] Braille Displays

Maura Kutnyak maurakutnyak at gmail.com
Sat Jan 18 13:16:31 UTC 2020

Hello Nandini,

I have a recommendation. It deserves a few qualifying words. I am not a skilled Braille reader. Thus, the device that I’m going to recommend is not something I have used. Recently my daughter was able to explore a few devices and is going to be having some equipment purchased by her school district. I was there and was impressed by one of the units. so much so that I considered having one purchased for me, I will be undergoing a similar evaluation in preparation for law school.

The device is called, the focus 40.  It is essentially a Bluetooth keyboard with braille inputs and a 40 sell display. It can be paired with an iPhone, iPad or any desktop device. I do not know if there is any storage native to the device. I believe there is a small amount. As for you EB versus the traditional form, I’m not sure about this either. My instinct is that it would be using the older form but I don’t know.

I liked it because it was very small and light. Also versatile being able to be used with a desktop or a more portable device. Like I said, my skills are at something like a fourth grade level. It has been many years since I’ve actively read braille. Still, I feel like it might be a nice way to try to brush up hope this is helpful in someway. My guess is that it will be exorbitantly expensive as most of these things are.

Sincerely,

Maura Kutnyak  MPA.
716-563-9882