[blindLaw] NABL's 2020 Annual Meeting

Scott C. LaBarre slabarre at labarrelaw.com
Wed Jul 8 13:22:51 UTC 2020

Good morning  from sunny and very hot Colorado!

As most of you know, NABL will be conducting its Annual Meeting as part of
the 2020 NFB Virtual Convention.  We will meet at 1:00 P.M. Eastern next
Thursday, July 16th via Zoom.  I have pasted below and attached our agenda.
We will be asking people to register for the meeting through our website.  I
will announce when that registration is open, either later today or
tomorrow.

It is fair to say that our agenda is largely responsive to the recent crises
we are facing as a nation.  We are very excited and delighted that Judy
Perry Martinez, President of the ABA, will be joining us.  Judy will talk
about how the ABA has been providing timely and highly informative
information and CLE's regarding the COVID19 pandemic as well as offering
great resources addressing the recent and historic racial crisis  we have
been facing.  By the time of our meeting, Laura Wolk will have completed her
term as a law clerk on the United States Supreme Court.  She is the first
blind woman ever to serve in that role and she is a tremendous legal talent.
Our good friend Eve Hill has been suing several states which are moving to
mail in ballots and have no accessible means for blind and other persons
with disabilities to vote secretly and independently.  Ronza Othman, Denise
Avant, Patti Chang, and Tim Elder will address other legal and practice
issues that have risen due to the pandemic.  Finally, we will conduct a
little business and then socialize a bit as we get ready for the opening
session of the Convention which will occur later that evening.  Go to
www.nfb.org/convention <http://www.nfb.org/convention>  for the entire
Convention Agenda.

Obviously, it would be great if we could meet in person.  Nevertheless, I
look forward to being with all of you virtually next week!

Best,

Scott

AGENDA

NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF BLIND LAWYERS

2020 ANNUAL MEETING

-----

Thursday, July 16, 2020

Via Zoom

https://zoom.us/j/97676275590

Note:  All times are Eastern Daylight.

1:00 PM     WELCOME AND MEETING LOGISTICS

                    Scott C. LaBarre, President, NABL, Centennial, CO

1:10 PM     THE AMERICAN BAR ASSOCIATION: WHAT'S IN IT FOR YOU

Judy Perry Martinez, President, ABA, New Orleans, LA

1:40 PM     THE FIRST BLIND WOMAN TO CLERK FOR THE UNITED STATES

SUPREME COURT

Laura Wolk, Clerk to the Honorable Justice Clarence Thomas, October Term
2019, Washington, DC

2:10 PM     SECURING THE RIGHT OF THE BLIND TO VOTE DURING THE COVID19
PANDEMIC AND BEYOND

Eve L. Hill, Partner Brown, Goldstein, and Levy, Baltimore, MD and Guests

3:10 PM     OTHER LEGAL ISSUES FACING THE BLIND DURING COVID19

Ronza Othman, First Vice President, NABL, Baltimore, MD; Denise Avant, Board
Member, NABL, Chicago, IL; Patti Chang, Director of Outreach, NFB, Chicago,
IL

3:45 PM     ISSUES FACING BLIND PRACTITIONERS DURING HEARINGS, DEPOSITIONS,
AND MEDIATIONS WHILE ON ZOOM AND OTHER VIRTUAL PLATFORMS

Tim Elder, Second Vice President, NABL, Freemont, CA

4:20 PM     NABL BUSINESS MEETING

4:30 PM     NABL VIRTUAL RECEPTION AND SOCIAL HOUR

Even though we can't be together in person, let's gather virtually and share
some fellowship.  Sorry no bar or hors d'oeuvres will be provided by NABL
this year, but you can bring your own.