[blindLaw] limitation on blind attorneys

Sarah Badillo sbadillo100 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 18:36:17 UTC 2020

On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 8:55 AM Sarah Badillo <sbadillo100 at gmail.com> wrote:

> That’s true, but first, they never actually gave them the chance to see if
> they could. Second, how many army lawyers actually serve in combat? How
> many army lawyers have in the past served in combat? Also, in the future,
> are they really going to put army lawyers in combat? Third, these days with
> all of the push for equality, the one thing that people need to realize is
> that equality is not there when it suits a person and eliminated when it
> doesn’t. Equality is a quality for everyone whether or not someone agrees
> with it. I think that as I said, there’s a whole opportunity that both the
> prospective lawyer and the military misses out on.
>
> On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 8:40 AM Cody Davis <cjdavis9193 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I considered this career path when I was in law school. I reached out to
>> a recruiter explaining my situation and could not get a response. From what
>> I have read online, even though you’re not in a combat position, all
>> officers must be able to serve in a combat position if needed.
>>
>> I would have love to serve as a JAG officer if it were possible. Maybe
>> permit it is a better word to use than possible.
>>
>> Warmly,
>> Cody
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> > On Jul 27, 2020, at 8:28 AM, ---------- via BlindLaw <
>> blindlaw at nfbnet.org> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hello, I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for this but I have a
>> question slash comment that in a way  pertains to attorneys. Over the past
>> few years and months, many changes have taken place that forced society to
>> re-examine its beliefs and actions regarding diversity and inclusion.  I
>> believe the blind must also be equally included. While not all blind
>> attorneys choose to take this path, some may wish, like there sighted
>> colleagues, to join the jag core.  or in other words, become an army
>> lawyer. While I'm not trying to glamorize this position, it may carry with
>> it a range of benefits. The vast majority of what army lawyers do is
>> lawyering like any other attorney. Since a lot of positions in the military
>> are non combat positions, and the vast majority of army lawyers complete
>> there 20 years of duty without major incidents, in this modern age of the
>> year 2020, it shouldn't be unreasonable what with both accommodations and
>> inclusion to expect and accept that many blind lawyers are just as capable
>> of being army lawyers rather then civilian if they choose to. I  I
>> commented on this in this list because this concerns  attorneys which is
>> the topic of this list. All legal careers should be open to those who are
>> blind or visually impaired. I have read that there is at least 1 in Israel.
>> Finally, there is a wealth of attorneys who's knowledge and skill is being
>> unused and who if they even wish to become this kind of attorney are being
>> kept out. ∫ are simply my thoughts. The views are my own and do not reflect
>> those of others.
> [...]
Israel recruit its first blind officer, you’ll see at least one individual
who is an army lawyer for the Air Force. I know there’s a two different
branches sorry. But she still in the military, she’s blind, they offered to
excuse her from the service and she said no. There’s another one but she’s
not a lawyer, but the fact that they excepted this one as a lawyer
indicates that they are a little bit more open.